Country Director, Myanmar – Position Available
Position: Country Director, Myanmar
Responsibility: Leading Union Aid Abroad – APEHDA’s Myanmar Country Program
Days per week: 5 days per week, 37.5 hours (full time)
Salary: AU$87,615 annually
Annual Leave: 4 weeks per year
Responsible to: Executive Officer
Reports to: Mekong Regional Manager
Based in: Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA office in Yangon, Myanmar
Background and Functions:
Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA has been operating in Myanmar for 4 years and on the Thai Burma border for 20 years, and is now looking for a Country Director who can lead and expand the Myanmar program, as well as to promote trade union development, Decent Work and social justice. Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA’s strategic direction is to support the development of labour and social movements. The Myanmar program is an integral part of Union Aid Abroad – APHEDA’s Mekong Regional Program.
Summary duty statement:
- Lead the Myanmar country program – develop and implement the relevant strategies, plans and priorities of the APHEDA Strategy as they relate to Myanmar and ensure that lessons learnt are shared and incorporated.
- Plan, implement, monitor, evaluate and report on the Union Aid Abroad APHEDA Program in Myanmar.
- Ensure effective organizational structures are in place with responsive management processes.
- Ensure that APHEDA programs meet high standards through timely implementation, adequate resourcing, quality monitoring and efficient reporting.
- Effectively represent APHEDA in Myanmar.
- Assist in expanding the APHEDA Myanmar program through building links, establishing effective networks and partnerships and identifying funding opportunities with relevant organizations.
- Be an active member of the APHEDA Management Team.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Regional Manager.
Essential selection criteria:
Qualification in the development field/environment/social or political sciences/labour movement studies.
- Understanding of community/rural development, politics, economics and labour/trade union development.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in computer, presentation and communication skills.
- At least 5 years experience in Asia in related work.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating programs.
- Demonstrated ability to think and lead strategically.
- Proven financial and human resources management experience.
- Experience in working for the trade union or social justice movements.
- Experience in writing grant applications and successful fundraising.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Dedicated to human rights/workers rights and social movements for change
- Diplomatic negotiator
- Networker, team player
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to contribute with critical and innovative thinking
Deadline: 20 October 2017
Please send your application including a CV and application letter addressing the selection criteria by October 20th to Ms Kate Lee, Executive Officer by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA is an equal opportunity organisation.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interviews.
Gross salary on scale 3B of the Enterprise Bargaining Agreement: AUD87,615.
12 months fixed term contract with opportunities for extension.
Download the Job Description here: Country Director, Myanmar
About Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA
Union Aid Abroad-APHEDA, the global justice agency of the Australian trade union movement, works in 15 countries in over 60 projects with local community organisations and trade unions. We seek to support the development of effective labour and social movements. For more information go to www.apheda.org.au